To fulfill its mission of providing access to information of all types in a wide range of formats, the Babylon Public Library provides wireless Internet access for laptop computers.
- All patrons who agree to the Library’s Internet Access Policy may use our wireless service. In order to utilize the connection users will have to possess a compatible laptop or other portable computer (laptop) and will need to have a wireless card and be configured to connect via DHCP. The Babylon Public Library does not guarantee that all laptop computers will be able to connect to the wireless Internet service.
- The Library provides Internet access through a cable modem. The Library does not provide laptops or wireless cards to patrons. The Library reserves the right to disconnect any device and to provide equal opportunity for wireless access to all users.
- Laptop computer users must be considerate of patrons nearby and refrain from excessive noise including the playing of music on the laptop without the use of headphones. Patrons not adhering to this policy may be asked to leave the Library.
- The Library is not responsible for laptops left unattended.
- The Library is not responsible for any damage that may occur to the laptop computer while connected to the wireless network. This includes, but is not limited to hardware, software or data loss due to power surges, power loss, service interruptions, computer viruses, spyware and any other type of computer malware.
- The Library staff is not available for computer training or troubleshooting of the patron’s computers. Patrons seeking assistance with research, composing or printing of documents or Internet assistance will be asked to use one of the Library’s computers available for public use.
- There are no printers available for laptop computer users. Saved files can be copied on a digital storage medium (i.e. flash drive, disk, etc) and brought to one of the Library’s public access computer workstations for printing. The Library is not responsible for data loss that may occur while printing.
- There is no cell phone use permitted in the Library. Patrons may not use their cell phones in conjunction with their laptop computers to conduct business in the Library. Cell phones may be used outside the building or in the lobby.
- Users may not use the network to:
- Make unauthorized entry into other computational, informational or communications services or resources.
- Distribute unsolicited advertising or SPAM.
- Invade the privacy of others.
- Engage in any activity that is harassing or defamatory.
- Use the Internet for any illegal activity, including violation of copyright or other rights of third parties, or in a manner inconsistent with the proper operation of the Library.
- Users will refrain from displaying obscene materials. Patrons deemed in violation of this policy may be asked to leave the Library and/or have Library privileges suspended or revoked. Obscene materials are considered anything offensive to others.
- The patron understands the wireless Internet connection is unsecured and open to everyone. The Library is not responsible for any financial loss that may occur while using the wireless Internet. This includes, but is not limited to, loss due to improper use of financial tools, personal information intercepted while being transmitted and identity theft.
- Violations of any policy contained herein may result in loss of access. Unlawful activities will be dealt with in an appropriate manner.